header

header

2.26.2008

My Angel


Did you ever spend too much on something with no purpose or use except for being "pretty'? I have a statue of Ascending Angel I bought for a high shelf in my bathroom a few years ago that I love like one of my children. I spent way too much on it (shipping was $75!!!) but I've never regretted it. I look at her every day and love her just as much as I did the day I unwrapped the 50 yards of bubble wrap and saw her lovely face (oh, to have that bubble wrap now!).


I placed her above my shower and a skylight over her shines down as if she is truely lit from heaven! I photograph her all the time when the light changes and it's usually in the late afternoon when I have other things to do (dinner, for instance). I'll walk into the room and can't believe the way the light is shining down and pretty soon I'm standing in my sink trying to get just the right shot...got it! Okay, maybe one more...ooh, look at this angle! I need a ladder! Next thing you know, the house is a mess, the kids are hungry, my husband is home and looking at me on the ladder just shaking his head.


He doesn't understand my obsession with this particular possession, but I think it boils down to this : She is beautiful, not functional and she is MINE! No one can reach her to break her and she serves no purpose but to just be beautiful. She isn't remotely boy-ish and sometimes in a house chock full of testosterone, I need something girly to remind me who I am. I'm Jen, a mom and wife who doesn't get the laundry put away on time and I sometimes burn dinner. I dig in the dirt with my boys and dig a garden with my husband. I rake leaves, take out the garbage, and clean up dog poop in the yard. But...I'm still just a girl inside, and I love pretty things.


For a piece of my Angel, check me out at http://www.hopestudios.etsy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work