header

header

10.29.2008

Easy Fall Decorating Project


I stumbled upon an idea for fall leaf paper cutting online today and it brought me back to the days of paper dolls.

I decided to recycle the ends of the dustcover paper I use for the back of my frames...ahhhh, recycling!

I found a maple leaf out in my yard and cut a long strip of paper the same width, then folded it accordion style until I ended up with a 3x3 inch square. I used brown craft paper, but think outside the box with wrapping paper, parchment paper, paper grocery bags, or even pull some out of your printer.


I arranged the leaf so that part of the leaf extended beyond the borders of the paper on two opposite folded sides.


Trace the leaf then cut, being careful not to cut through the fold (see arrows). It's more interesting to angle it slightly rather than tracing it straight up and down.


Pull apart your leaves and you've made a garland! I draped mine over my mantle. Happy Fall!


Want more fall decor ideas? Hop on over to the Nester's Fall Nesting Party!

8 comments:

  1. Love these! Hmm...might have to help mom decorate her Thanksgiving table with these...Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great festive idea for your mantle. I would have to be very careful, I always have candles lit and sitting on the mantle. Happy Fall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep...gotta do this too!!!!....I'm running out to get a roll of the brown paper right now!!!!...thank you for more than you can ever know............

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the simple elegance and ordered dishelvelment make it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually put a skeleton paper garland on my mantle, but I love this leaf one! I might do it in felt though so I can reuse it every year instead of throwing it away and re-doing every year. Going to ppost this on my blog today and link back to you. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just finding you and am IN LOVE! :D Hopefully that doesn't scare you! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog through SITS and I love it! I love the fall decorating ideas! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work