header

header

5.19.2011

My Last First Communion



The rain here in Pittsburgh stopped long enough for my Munchkin's 1st Communion this weekend! I couldn't help but cry as I watched the children process down the aisle two-by-two looking like little brides and grooms.



We posed for some quick (awkward) family photos then ducked inside before the rain, for a late lunch.



Are you entertaining a large group this spring? Here is my menu that fed 27 guests:

Spiral Sliced Ham and Rotisserie Chicken Salad- from Costco for mini-sandwiches.

Aunt Marie's Dinner Rolls- 2 pans

Tortellini Salad

Juniper's Potato Salad

Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

**Toss spinach, sliced strawberries, pecans, and feta. Dress with poppy seed dressing.

Fresh fruit tray

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake
with Cream Cheese Buttercream.

Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Sky High Cakes

12 ounces cream cheese, slightly chilled

1 stick + 6 Tbls. (7 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup water

3 egg whites

1. Place the cream cheese the bowl of your electric mixer and beat on medium until soft, fluffy and smooth. Add the butter a couple of tablespoons at a time mixing until smooth. Mix in the icing sugar and and vanilla beating until fluffy. Set this aside.

2. Combine the granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring to dissolve the sugar. Continue to cook the syrup without stirring until it reaches soft ball stage.

3. While the syrup is coming to temperature add the egg whites to the mixer bowl with the whisk attached. As the syrup reaches temperature set the mixer going on medium/low. Slowly pour the syrup down the side of the bowl, avoiding the whisk. Once all the syrup is all in increase the speed to medium/high and beat until the meringue has cooled to body temperature and a stiff meringue has developed.

4. With the mixer on low add the cream cheese mixture by the spoonful. Once all mixed in increase the speed to medium and whisk the frosting until fluffy and smooth.

9 comments:

  1. Great photos, looks like a fab day! thanks for the recipie, sounds so tasty :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen the menu sound wonderful, the family pic is cute (kind of looks like Peacemaker is doing a dance), and I just can't get over how dapper he looks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenn,
    What a good looking little family you are ;->

    I remember making my first communion, I loved wearing the headpiece and veil. I felt like a bride and would parade around my bedroom.

    Special day indeed...glad you enjoyed it with your friends and family.

    Perfect timing for the recipes...the secret agents B-day is today and I'm baking him a chocolate cake!

    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. That menu sounds wonderful - sounds like it was a special, memorable day. Love the photos - they don't look any more awkward to me than everyone else's who pose with kiddos (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not catholic so I've never understood the mini bride thing.

    But your menu looks fantastic! My husband's 30th b-day is coming up and we're throwing a BBQ. I've got an awesome tortellini salad on the menu, but I think I'm going to have to try your potato salad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a special day :) so glad the rain held off for a few moments! we had our "last (of 2)confirmation" the 1st of may... and when i read your title it made me feel the way i did that day. that both my kids were all wrapped up in God's arms... signed sealed and to be delivered. it wasn't that they weren't before, but i felt like this was all official and such... and it made me feel a little sense of accomplishment. two more things checked off a mama's list of 2,000...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, what a sweet day! I think your family photo is absolutely perfect. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a special day! Great lunch, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great day - we have just started this process - exciting times!
    And the menu looks divine

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work