header

header

2.29.2012

Dots and Dashes Crochet Throw - Pinterest Pass or Fail



I just learned to crochet a few months ago and was hot to try to make something BIG (sick of those dinky scarves and granny squares)! I wanted to make this warm lap blanket (originating at Red Heart website) for snuggling.

"Come hither, I might not be wearing underpants..."

**A little aside...I have lots of "theories" and one of them is that the world is divided into two groups - those who like to snuggle under blankies every time they sit on a couch and those who don't. I'm a blankie girl.

Anyhoo, I Pinned this crocheted blanket tutorial to my Crochet Board (I'm really good at coming up with super original names like that) that seemed cute in a non-grandma way and was determined to try it.

Pinterest Pass! These instructions (I think crochet pros would call it a "pattern") were easy to follow, even for a novice like me. I learned the new stitch in no time and was on my way.

Here is my completed blanket (having trouble pulling off the "come hither" look with a blankie):


"Come hither, I am dressed for the gym and wearing no make up...I may or may not be stinky..."

Now, I have to be honest here about something...I do love to snuggle and I do love to try new things, and I do get distracted easily (look, a squirrel!) so I wasn't very good at keeping track of all those stitches.

So, let's take another, more objective look at my finished blanket:



Oops. Totally user error, people. Don't blame the Pin! So Pass for the Pin and Fail for me.

Mandy tried Crockpot Buffalo Chicken, what Pins did YOU try?

Drop me a link and I will check it out.

21 comments:

  1. I am Totally a blankie person - in fact, if I'm going to a friends house to watch the game, I've been known to bring my own blankie! DO NOT want to be chilly. Of course, there's always that chance I'll get so comfy that I fall asleep! I'll call your first big crochet project a success! It look really cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! The Treatgirl is totally a blankie girl too!!! I even have a little down blankie for the car in the summer....Chip CRANKS the A.C. and I'm freezing in my shorts and flip flops :( Soooooo proud of you Jennifer Juniper!! A fantastic first attempt....I'm sure you learned a lot and you already have a next project lined up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE blankies! And was thinking you could use your new found talent and totally make me one of these....... um..... maybe you NEED to make me one of these, so you can, shall we say...... practice a little :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love triangular shaped blankies, then I'm your girl!

      Delete
  4. I did this for my son's jeans (he's six so it was still cool). It was a total Pass!

    http://refashionco-op.blogspot.com/2011/11/cute-fix-for-hole-in-knee-of-jeans.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I used this Lion Brand yarn from Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lion-Brand-Hometown-USA-Yarn-Kansas-City-Wheat/19341328

      It was waaay fatter than the yarn the pattern called for, but I really wanted to try it. I would stick with what the pattern suggested next time...like if I make one for Wendy!

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I really like the yarn that you used so I may try it with the pattern only use a larger crochet hook.

      Delete
  6. I so need to learn how to crochet! I think your blanket looks great and it's got far more personality that the pin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm under a blankie as I type (it's pouring and thundering). I had to laugh when I saw the spread out Blanket...that is such a common error for newbies. My sister Mary Sue could not crochet a square no way..no how. It became a running joke in the family. Funny...now that she is no longer with us, the item I cherish the most is the trapezoid shaped lap blanket she crocheted while we waited in chemo/radiation offices.

    Love yours and you should still be very proud...it still keeps you warm no matter the shape. Hey..you can always tell people that was the intended design!

    Fun post
    Janet xox
    The Empty Nest

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did great. Sometimes I feel like I need to relearn how to crochet just because my grandmother taught me in junior high and I've forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cracks me up!!! I have a matching "pyramid" blanket at my house from one of my first attempts! I think you did awesome. I like the chunkier look of your blanket better than the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i actually laughed out loud when i saw the real shot of your blanket! when i crochet my ends look wavy since i loose track of counting some times...so your not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am laughing WITH you, not at you! Bless you for sharing the "real result" with us! I am sitting under my fleece blankie right now while typing this response.
    Just may have to try this pin........thanks for the smiles today Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you so much for sharing. I think you did a great job. The stitches look even and uniform just not the same count, so you have the technique down. I am still learning but it has been awhile since I've attempted another project. you can always undo it and reuse the yarn and try again. I love to cuddle with a blanket on the couch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I just said that to a bloggy friend who emailed yesterday to tell me how to fix my mistake. I think I will take it apart and use the yarn to try again. I hate to buy all that yarn again!

      Delete
  13. Your photo caption is a crackup

    ReplyDelete
  14. You crack me up!!! Love the gym hair...in fact, that's exactly how mine looks...dang cute bangs except for when your sweatin' your butt off ;) Are you chaining at the end of your row to make the next "step up" to the new row? That could be your problem for making it shaped wonky...but seriously, Great Job for a newbie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have tried crocheting and knitting and have failed at both. Apparently yarn and I do not get along. At.All.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a blankie girl too! And OMGee those thin mint cookie ball things! I'm gonna have to hunt down a Girl Scout so I can make those!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work