header

header

5.24.2013

Angelina Jolie - What Would You Do?



I think we've all heard about Angelina's decision to have a double mastectomy after medical tests concluded she had an 87% chance of developing breast cancer.  She wrote about the decision and the procedure in this New York Times article.

The testing determined if there was a mutation between the BRCA-1 or BRCA-2 genes.  The price tag on a BRCA-1 and BRCA -2 test is more than $4,000.(source)

From what I've read, the test also concluded she has a 50% chance of developing ovarian cancerHer next round of surgeries include a hysterectomy and oophorectomy (removal of ovaries).

It's Feedback Friday...

Would you want to have this test if it were more affordable?

What do you think of the exorbitant price tag of this test?

What would the percentages have to be for you to consider these drastic measures for yourself?

4 comments:

  1. I would absolutely not have my breasts cut off as a preventative measure. I wrote about it here ~
    http://lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/05/cutting-off-your-breasts.html

    I got a lot of flack for my opinion but I believe every one has a right to their own opinion and needs to do what they believe is right for them. I just wouldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had my first mammogram last week (all clear!) and don't have a strong history of it in my family. However, if I had a strong family history (like Jolie), I would absolutely remove my saggy-post breast-feeding breasts and replace them with fabulous and perky new ones. I think the test is new and with like with any other technology it,the price will come down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While reading about her I learned that if the test comes up with similar results to Angelina's some insurance companies will drop you? I wonder if this is true?

    Then I started wondering if I could even afford to make those kinds of decisions without insurance. Feels like a catch 22!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were the test affordable, I'd definitely have it, as there is history of cancer in my family. I think the price tag is insane. I wouldn't think twice about having a double mastectomy or hysterectomy and oophorectomy if tests showed I had a chance of developing cancer in those areas. Having known several people who have undergone treatment for various cancers (including ovarian cancer and breast cancer) and seeing how it has affected them, I think those preventative surgeries are far better option.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work